Media: Canale 5
Location: Città del Vaticano, Vatican City
Host: Cristina Parodi
- Analyse (orchestral) (~3:50)
- Little Drummer Boy (with Westlife) (~2:55)
- Panis Angelicus (~3:20)
- Silent Night (various artists) (~3:20)
- Vatican Christmas concert at Aula Paolo VI / Nervi Hall.
- The four songs were played with a 67-piece orchestra that accompanied all of the artists performing.
- The concert was aired on various TV and radio stations around the World.
- Dolores was included on Little Drummer Boy at the last minute: “Westlife will forever be thankful to Dolores O’Riordan of the Cranberries. The popular group was invited to perform for the Pope at the Vatican last Saturday. Westlife were to perform two songs, World of our own & Little Drummer Boy but in rehearsals, the boys found out that the orchestra were playing the song on a different key and the guys couldn’t sing to it. It was too late to change it, but luckily Dolores was around and she could sing the song, so she did it!” (Taken from Dutch TV channel TMF)
- Other performing artists were: Westlife, Elisa, Tiziano Ferro, Sasha, Russel Watson, Randy Crawford, Edoardo Bennato, Massimo Ranieri, Terence Trent d’Arby, Hevia, Tenores di Bitti, Coro delle voci bianche del Teatro alla Scala, Coro del Rinnovamento dello Spirito.
- Dolores also performed at the 2002 and 2005 edition of the Vatican concert as well as at the 2006 Monté-Carlo Christmas concert.
- The official Italian Cranberries fansite later posted downloadable clips (no longer available) that include footage of the soundcheck plus a meet and greet with Dolores and a few fans.
- The day before the show Dolores had an opportunity to meet the Pope Ioannes Paulus II (picture below).
FM radio recording (whole concert)
Amateur recordings (Soundcheck, meet & greet)Analyse
Little Drummer Boy