LOCATION OF THE SHOW
Studio 8H, NBC Studios, New York City, NY, USA
DATE OF RECORDING
DATE OF BROADCAST
2. Ode To My Family
ATTENDANCE / CAPACITY
200 / 200
- Season 20, Episode 14
- Show hosted by Georges Clooney.
- Before playing “Ode To My Family” Dolores made a special announcement: “Just one week ago today the man who signed The Cranberries and lots of other young musicians uhh… he died and uhh… his name was Denny Cordell and this one is for him”. Denny Cordell was an English record producer. Dolores will later say that he was The Cranberries father figure within the music industry. So important that the band will later write a song in his tribute simply called “Cordell” (released on the album ‘To The Faithful Departed” in 1996).
- “Saturday Night Live” is an American sketch comedy show live broadcast on NBC on… Saturdays! It premiered in 1975 under the original title “NBC’s Saturday Night” and is still on the air these days. It is one of the longest-running television programme in the United States. Each episode of approximately 90 minutes (with commercials) is hosted by a celebrity guest who usually delivers the opening monologue and performs in sketches with the cast as with featured performances by a musical guest. An episode normally begins with a cold open sketch that ends with someone proclaiming, “Live from New York, it’s Saturday Night!”, properly beginning the show. The programme became a significant part of the U.S. culture, such an institution that 3 letters, SNL, are enough to know what you’re talking about, in real life and even on the internet!
- The iconic SNL celebrity portrait is the first thing people see when the show comes back from a commercial break. Those photos have been a staple of the show since 1975, highlighting each night’s host and musical guest and setting the mood for the entertainment to come. Each week’s photo shoot usually takes place on the Thursday before the show. The photographer has to come up with 8 or 9 portraits for each host and 3 for each musical guest.
- Broadcast since the show’s inception from Studio 8H at NBC Studios in the GE Building (now Comcast Building since 2014) located at 30 Rockefeller Plaza in New York City.
- NBC – show 2
- Corbis – portraits 1, 2, 3
- SNL – Wikipedia
- Studio 8H – Wikipedia
- The stories behind those iconic SNL photos – cnn.com